One of the biggest
complaints/arguments against the various world religions is that they are the
cause of a lot of wars and violence, and that without religion the world would
be much better off. There are two things that I believe to be wrong with this
argument: first, is that this statement is a fallacy because it cannot be properly tested; and second, is that this is a simplified look at the causation of war and violence
throughout history.
The statement that the world would be better off without
religion is a fallacy because there is no philosophical or scientific way to
test this. Unless, one went back in time and eliminated all religious thoughts,
or groups that gathered because of their shared belief system, it is impossible
to know; even if the whole world a some point in the future eliminate
religions, this would not be adequate proof because of the route that history has taken
through the various religions. Another option to test the theory would be if parallel
universes could be enter to determine if structured religion ever took place, then one could judge the state of that world in terms of violence perpetrated.
However, neither of these things, going back in time or investigated other
universes, has happened, as far as I know, so currently no one is able to determine if the world
would be less violent without religion.
Second,
for people to say that religion is the main contributor to wars and violence
throughout human history is a simplified approach to the study war
and its causes. In fact, I would argue that if you look at all the wars
throughout human history, the main cause of the vast majority was something
other than religion. Granted differences in religion is used more often as a
secondary argument for war in order to drum up zeal, as it is something that can
easily be used to cast your opponent as the “other”. You look at the Middle Ages,
arguably the most “religious” time in Western history, and only one war of the
hundreds that occurred in that 1000 year period can be properly deemed
religious; although there were a few genocides like the Albigensian Crusade (the more aggressive form of the Inquisition happened largely in the Renaissance). This war, the Crusades, which was really a series of nine different invasions of the Middle East by the European nations, and I don't believe it was not even the most deadliest war in the Middle Ages. As well, a quick look at Wikipedia’s list of the most deadliest wars shows that only 4 out of 27 deadliest wars are classified as religious wars, and at least one of those,
the French Wars of Religion, could just as easily be classified as a political
war (If you want my reasoning for this I will gladly give it but that would be
a paper in itself). Even with the Crusades, which were the only outright
religious wars in the Middle Ages, there are other motivating factors behind them and for some religion was used on as a sugar coating for war. For example, the leaders of the Fourth Crusade
quickly forgot all religious reason for the crusade and adopted more secular
notions. Originally set up in order to defend Constantinople from the Muslim
Turks, and it used the religion statements of the day in its propaganda, but it
quite quickly, and obviously, became more influenced by Byzantine politics and
Venetian greed. Now before I get to ahead of myself and people accuse me of
supporting the Crusades, I must state that I think that they were a horrible
idea and the preaching that went on during the Crusades was a gross misinterpretation
of the Bible. To say though, that they are only religious and caused solely by
religion with no other influences is making their history to be black and white
when really it is a shade of grey. So to sum up, the that reasons why
people/countries go to war is complicated and people can often oversimplify
them, and as historians we must be cautious not to paint events with single brush and colour. (Again I can provide more in-depth
reasoning for the causation of the Crusades being not entirely religious but I
wanted to try and limited the length of this post)
Another
thing that I want to mention but don’t want to spend too much time on, because
I don’t know a lot about them, is genocides. Again referring to Wikipedia, I
know it is not great but in this instance it is useful, 3 of the deadliest
genocides in history were perpetrated by atheist governments, or at the very
least agnostic in the case of Nazi Germany. Now the reason I bring this up is
not to say that atheist governments are always evil because, God knows, that
there has been enough genocides committed in the name of religion; which
sometimes I think are worse because of the messages of tolerance and peace that
a lot of religions proclaim. As well, the point of this piece is not to argue
against atheist governments but rather to point out the complicated nature of
people’s actions. What this three genocides show is that governments will abuse and kill the people they are suppose to represent in the name of no god, just as easily as in the name of God.
For another example of needing to give more than a cursory glance at events in history in order to understand them better I will return to a time period of history that I am more comfortable with, the Middle Ages. The event in that I want to bring up is really a motif that exist throughout the Middle Ages, and that is anti-Semitism. Throughout the Middle Ages, Western kings would expel, tax, or
steal from the Jews within their kingdoms, claiming it as revenge for crucify Christ. This was done under religious
arguments because the Jews were not Catholic and were distinct from the average European in the ways they lived their lives. They, thus, made a convenient group for the kings to attack in that they were a minority and other. I believe, however, that the
kings would have found any reason to steal the money from the Jews if the
religious reasons did not exist. The Jews throughout the Middle Ages were often
the richest group in the various cities taking on the role of bankers as they,
unlike the Christians, could lend money at interest; which the king could then
tax. As well, royal families were at many points throughout the Middle Ages
broke, or near enough, and so would try everything to come up the money to wage
their next war, or host their next extravagant party. Therefore, the kings would often attack the Jews to come up with the money they needed without trying to force more taxes on the rest of the population which would stir up ideas of revolt (not that this made it right, it only goes to show in that time period most secular leaders believed Might was Right). So, the point I am trying to make it that whether
people/governments are atheist, theist, or agnostic there can be many reasons
why they desire to kill other people/governments and unfortunately religion is
something that is often used as an excuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment